Casper is a mattress manufacturing company in the United States of America. The company takes a different approach in this industry because it has just one mattress model. They claim that it is better to have one perfect mattress than many mattress models with flaws. The company also claims to have simplified the shipping and supply process by eliminating the middlemen to reduce the overall cost of the mattress. Casper mattress started in 2014 and is a new company compared to other brands, and it targets different consumers. Keep in mind that taking a Casper mattress for a test drive might be difficult especially because the mattress is not available in brick and mortar stores.
More than a year in the making, our new sheets and pillow are engineered to perfectly complement the Casper mattress and create the world’s best sleep environment.
If you are thinking about purchasing a Casper mattress, here are some of the things that you should consider:
Casper mattress Foams
The Casper mattress has three layers of different foams.
- The Support Foam (Bottom Layer) – This 7-inch (17.78 centimeters) high-density support foam provides the foundational support for the mattress. The layer features great breathability and is the base on which the two other layers sit.
- Memory Foam (Mid Layer) – This is a 1.5-inch (3.81 centimeters) layer of memory foam that provides pressure relief and support. This layer is also meant to provide the conformity that offers comfort and contouring that makes memory foam mattresses extra comfortable.
- Latex Foam (Top Layer) – This is a 1.5-inch (3.81 centimeters) layer made of latex foam geared towards providing a cooling effect, comfort and bounce.
The combination of latex and foam aims to provide the best qualities of the two materials. The main drawback of memory foam is the heat retention effect. This can result in an uncomfortable night due to the temperatures. Memory foam works through creating support by absorbing heat from the body. To prevent the heat problem, Casper uses the latex foam which brings about a cooling effect and comfort qualities of latex while still maintaining support and conformity provided by the memory foam.
Casper Mattress Cover
Casper uses a cover design that has become a standard for most mattresses manufactured by online companies. The cover is made using a white fabric piece running from one edge to the other. The top cover part is soft, thin and stretchy. The textiles that make the cover are imported from Belgium and others are acquired in the USA.
The cover is constructed to be porous to make mattress breathable and cool. Because of this construction, it is important that you be very careful when moving the Casper mattress. If the mattress is caught, a few threads might get ripped off the mattress, and you might have to deal with a hole on the cover. The cover top is not as durable as you would expect it to be and is prone to tears.
On a functionality level, the cover will meet all the basic requirements, and its thin nature will allow you to feel the comfort of the foam layers directly.
Support, Feel and Firmness
The mattress designed by Casper offers a medium feel as far as firmness is concerned. On the firmness scale, the mattress stands at about 6/10. It is therefore not too soft and not too firm. This firmness level is a great choice for most sleepers.
Because the mattress has 3 inches (7.62 centimeters) of memory and latex foam, people over 200 pounds might find the mattress firmer than expected. Larger people will probably sink through the comfort layers provided by the memory foam and the latex and feel the less comfortable support foam which is firm. This is the main reason why I doubt to recommend Casper mattress to heavier sleepers, especially those over 200 pounds.
The best attribute of the Casper mattress is the softness which will give you a hugging feeling around the body. The sinkage level of the comfort layers will be about 1 or 1.5 inches (3.81 centimeters) for light sleepers, but it will be more pronounced for people over 250 pounds.
On average, the mattress will provide good support for all sleeping positions. The only exception will be the edges, because when compared to other mattresses in the same class, the Casper mattress is among the top mattresses with the worst edges. If you sit on the edge, you will experience a sinkage of about 5 inches (12.7 centimeters), and this simply means you will probably be rolled off if you sleep too close to the mattress’s edge. People who plan to use the edge of the mattress should expect to deal with a lot of sinkage with the Casper mattress.
Casper Mattress Sizes and Prices
- Casper only offers one mattress model, and the difference between their products is the size and the price.
- For a twin-size mattress, you will pay around $500.
- Twin XL mattresses are available for about $600.
- Full size goes for $750.
- Queen-size Casper mattresses go for $850.
- The King and Cal King size mattresses are around $950.
Other Important Details
The company offers free shipping, and the mattress will arrive in 1 to 5 business days compressed in a box. With the Casper mattress, you get a 10-year warranty. There is a 100 night’s trial period offered by the company. The mattress is made in the USA though some materials are sourced from Belgium and others are from the USA.
Casper Mattress Pros
- Casper has a no-fee return policy
- The mattresses have pain and pressure relief potential
- There is little or no off-gas reports
- Casper discloses all the specifications, and this makes it easy for you to select their mattress
- Casper mattresses get an impressive owner satisfaction percentage
- The mattress is ideal for people between 130 and 250 pounds
- A great choice for stomach sleepers
- Capers mattresses use memory foam which is silent and comfortable
- Casper mattresses enjoy a rating by Better Business Bureau
- You get a 1000 day return policy (no-fee) and 100% money back guarantee. You do not need to prepare the mattress for shipping, and a courier will collect it and return it for recycling or donation.
- Casper mattresses are priced at below $1000 (between $500 and $1000) and offer qualities that you will find in more expensive mattresses.
Casper Mattress Cons
- Casper markets the mattress as a perfect sleeping surface for everyone, but this might not be entirely true for everyone.
- Casper mattress is quite new in the industry, and this means that you might not have adequate information on how long the mattress lasts and the things that you might have to deal with, because there will be not solid consumer reports.
- Casper mattresses are among mattresses with the worst edges.